Dry yeast, 2 tablespoons
Water, 1/2 cup
Sugar, 1 flat teaspoon
White flour, 1 kg
Sugar, 4 flat tablespoons
Water, 3 cups
Olive oil, 6 tablespoons
Salt, 1 heaping tablespoon
1. Melt the yeast in the water and sugar and let rise for about 3 minutes.
2. Place the flour and sugar in the mixing bowl, add the yeast and some of the water and start kneading.
3. Add the rest of the water and oil while kneading and continue to knead for about 5 minutes. Towards the end of kneading combine the salt as well. The dough comes out very soft and slightly sticky.
4. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for about 1 hour. It’s recommended to prepare the dough in advance and store overnight in the refrigerator. During the summer it is more convenient to work with cold dough.
5. Divide the dough into 4 parts (depending on the size of the focaccia), grease with a little olive oil and flatten each part into a circle (you can also place in a round pan or on a pan with baking paper, grease your hands and open the dough).
6. Make dimples in the dough and spread 1 heaping tablespoon of pesto on each focaccia. On the top place chopped red onion and red pepper with olive oil, salt and black pepper (you can add a few slices of hot green pepper).
7. Add chopped olives and let rise for about 40 minutes.
8. Drizzle olive oil around the dough and bake in a preheated oven at 356°F-375°F (180°C-190°C) for about 30 minutes or until the focaccia is golden (focaccia without toppings is baked faster).
9. Bon appetite (:
The recipe can be upgraded by adding diced salted vegan cheese on top.
Total time: 1-2 hours
The nutritional value includes the dough only, without the toppings.