Basmati rice, 2½ cups
Canola oil, 3 tablespoons
Cardamom, 6 pods
Coriander seeds, 1 pinch
Allspice, 5 units
Cumin, 1/4 flat teaspoon
Coarse salt, 1 flat teaspoon
Yellow curry mash, 1 heaping teaspoon
Water, 6 cups
Cinnamon stick, 1/2 unit
Dried bay leaves, 2 small units
1. Crush the cardamom pods, coriander seeds, allspice, cumin and coarse salt together in a mortar and pestle.
2. Fry the rice with the oil and the crushed spices for about 3 minutes until you start to smell the spices a little.
3. Dissolve the yellow curry mash in a little boiling water. Pour another cup of boiling water over it and pour into the pot.
4. Add another 5 cups of water.
5. Add the cinnamon stick and the bay leaves to the pot, and cook until boiling.
6. When the water is boiling transfer to a low heat, set timer for 15 minutes and cover the pot. After 15 minutes lift the lid, mix and fix seasoning if necessary. Cook for another 5 minutes with the lid closed. That's it - you made a wonderful spicy vegan rice!
7. Bon appetite (:
You can sprinkle parsley on the rice for garnish. For more spiciness, you can increase the amount of curry in the recipe, and for less, moderate the amount of curry.
Total time: 30-60 min
Equipment: large pot with a sealed lid, mortar and pestle.
The nutritional value does not include the bay leaves. The preparation method also includes frying. The resulting recipe is 1 kg of home-made cooked rice.