Carrot, 5 medium units
Cabbage, 1 medium unit
Fennel, 3 heads
Kohlrabi, 1 medium unit
Red pepper, 1 medium unit
Yellow pepper, 1 medium unit
Green hot pepper, 4-6 medium units
Garlic, 3 cloves
Lemon, 4 medium units
Water, 18 cups
Salt, 18 flat teaspoons
vinegar 5%, 6 cups
lemon juice, 2 cups
Turmeric, 3 flat teaspoons
1. Boil the sliced carrots in water for about 15 minutes and strain.
2. Cut all the vegetables (cabbage, fennel, kohlrabi and peppers) into strips, hot pepper into slices, peel the garlic and slice the lemon.
3. Place in a container (preferably made of glass or hard plastic) up to 4 cm (1.5 inches) below the cap.
4. Prepare the liquids (according to the size of 3 cups) - put in a bowl 3 cups of boiling water, 3 teaspoons of salt, 1 cup of vinegar, 0.33 cup of the lemon juice and 0.5 teaspoon of turmeric. Stir until everything dissolves, pour into the jar and repeat until the jar is full.
5. Close the cap, cool (2-3 hours) and refrigerate for 24 hours.
6. The pickles are ready.
7. Bon appetite (:
Total time: 1-2 days
Equipment: sealed container (glass or hard plastic).
My husband Dror is responsible for this recipe - he is the “pickle chef” (I just helped him cut). The amounts of water, canned lemon juice, turmeric, vinegar and salt can be varied based on the size of the jar and based on the amounts of vegetables you choose to use (meaning that if you compress more vegetables in a dish, less liquid will be needed and vice versa). The pickles can be refrigerated for 2- 3 months.