The cabbage to fill
Cabbage, 2 medium units
Round rice, 1½ cups
Onion, 1 medium unit
Carrot, 2 medium units
Red pepper, 1 small unit
Hot green pepper, 1/2 small unit
Celery, 1 stalk
Dill, 1/4 bunch
Black pepper, 1 flat teaspoon
Sweet Moroccan paprika in oil, 1 flat teaspoon
Dried coriander, 1 heaping teaspoon
Turmeric, 1/2 flat teaspoon
Canola oil, 4 tablespoons
Coarse salt, 1 heaping teaspoon
Canola oil, 2 tablespoons
Sweet Moroccan paprika in oil, 1 flat tablespoon
Harissa, 1/2 tablespoon
Tomato, 1 large unit
Tomato paste, 2 tablespoons
Salt, 1/2 teaspoon
Dried oregano, 1 heaping teaspoon
Ground dried red pepper, 1 unit
Water, as needed
1. Remove the core from the cabbage heads with a knife. parboil and separate the leaves. Transfer to a strainer and cool.
2. Mix all the filling ingredients in a bowl together.
3. Remove thick pieces from the cabbage leaves, fill with the rice and vegetable mixture (about a tablespoon) and roll.
4. Prepare the sauce: In a medium, wide and deep pot, heat the oil, add the paprika and harissa (to open flavors), pour over the grated tomato and tomato paste, and mix. Add half a cup of boiling water and salt, and cook until slightly softened and slightly reduced by the liquids.
5. Remove the pot from the heat and arrange the stuffed cabbage leaves in layers over the sauce (preferably slightly dense and with the seam facing down). Add boiling water to the height of the stuffed cabbage, sprinkle over the oregano and ground dried red pepper and return to the heat.
6. Cook first for about 10 minutes over medium heat with the lid slightly open. Then, cover the pot and cook for another hour and a quarter on low heat (during cooking you can add a little more boiling water if necessary. The sauce at the end of cooking should be up to about half the height of the stuffed cabbage).
7. Bon appetite (:
Total time: 1-2 hours
The spices in the recipe are according to personal taste. The nutritional value does not include the dried and ground red pepper.