White lima bean, 1 cup
Red bean, 1/2 cup
Black-eyed pea, 1/2 cup
Chickpea, 1/2 cup
Pearl barley, 1/2 cup
Whole Wheat, 1/2 cup
Potato, 3 medium units
Sweet potato, 3 medium units
Garlic, 1 head
Olive oil, 1/4 cup
Tomato paste, 100 g
Date honey, 4 tablespoons
Paprika, 1 heaping tablespoon
Salt, 4 flat teaspoons
Black pepper, 1 flat teaspoon
Tofu, 600 g
Water, enough to cover the cholent
1. Soak all the legumes for at least 12 hours.
2. Soak the wheat and barley for an hour (optional).
3. Rinse the legumes, wheat and barley well, pour into a pot and mix.
4. Peel the garlic cloves and add to the pot as well as the potatoes and sweet potatoes.
5. Add olive oil, tomato paste, date honey and spices, and mix well.
6. Slice the tofu into strips, add to the pot and mix gently so that the strips will blend into the whole mixture.
7. Fill the pot with water until the stew is covered and a little more, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and continue to cook with a lid on a low heat for about 30 minutes.
8. Transfer to a preheated oven at 210°F (100°C) for at least 10 hours (add more liquids if needed).
9. At the end of baking, liquids should remain but in a thicker state, and then you know that the stew is ready. If there is still water then baking should be continued.
10. Bon appetite (:
Total time: 1-2 days
The preparation method also includes cooking and soaking. The spices in the recipe are according to personal taste.